Let us talk about the most common threats that will be around in 2014:
- Social networking websites will be targeted- Today, social networking sites are critical to businesses as well as individuals, attracting hackers and spammers. The attackers are becoming more sophisticated and the year 2013 will see them gaining prominence. Most people connect with unknown people on through social networking and make themselves vulnerable to threats such as malicious codes which can penetrate all information stored in the web browser of the users.
- Scams such as ransomware will increase- Sent in an actionable email, this malware locks a computer network and asks for a payment in exchange for a key to release or decrypt the data. Thousands of computers have already been affected by this in the US.
- Cloud security will be targeted- With the growth of cloud computing, attacks on the cloud will also increase. No one can afford to ignore encryption of stored user data as well as data in transfer.
- All data will need protection- Even the so called low-risk data will be vulnerable to security attacks. Be it medical equipment, a school computer, a baby monitor or a television, attackers today seek all kinds of data to strike.
- Spear phishers will be prominent- Spear phishers can make any email look highly genuine, as if coming from friends or colleagues. The (in) famous cyber-attack on New York Times was a spear phishing attack. This year too, such attacks are expected.