Virtual Private Network has been segregated into two types:
- Road Warrior: This is used by employees who wish to connect to the office network from a remote location. This is a secured user-to-LAN connection. Road Warrior VPN permits secured and encrypted connection between the private network of a company and the remote users, over the internet.
- Extending the LAN: Companies use dedicated equipment, to connect to several fixed sites over the internet. Site-to-site VPNs are used to connect networks of different companies that work in close association or to connect a company’s LAN made up of several branch offices spread across different locations.
VPN is aimed to secure the LAN of an organization transcending its physical boundaries. VPN ensures that content is secured during transfer. There is security loop-hole at the end-points. By integrating VPN and UTM (Unified Threat Management) functionalities, Threat Free Tunneling (TFT) security is implemented. TFT creates an intelligent layer of secure remote access driven by granular access policy, gateway threat and malware protection, Identity based policy control, enforced authentication and gateway firewall.
- Intrusion Prevention System (IPS) scans traffic and eliminates threats. The IPS and firewall implemented together prevent threats and intrusions.
- Antispyware, anti-virus and anti-spam features of UTM prevents viruses, Trojans, worms, spyware, malware and spam mails to get into the network
- Identity-aware firewall acts as a barrier restricting the number of open ports, allowed protocols and type of packets getting passed through
- Granular Access Policy provides definite resources to employees on the basis of their professional necessities and user's identity
- Identity-based security reporting helps in gap identification, traces anomalous activity and enables compliance audits
Companies of different sizes, implement VPN for several reasons. VPN ensures competitive advantage and can be extended to create extranet. Better knowledge of Virtual Private Network and their security mechanisms allow companies to expand their business maintaining the security of information assets intact.