- Theft, disclosure and misuse of critical or sensitive internal data
- Unwanted and unauthorized access to the internal systems
- Interception, decryption of sensitive and confidential information while in transit
- Hacking and vandalism of critical systems and applications
- Legal and social threats
To counter these risks including privacy and data security, all organizations are investing huge amount in data security. There are many solutions available to mitigate these risks, one of them is the firewall.
The firewall is a system that stands between the two or more networks to monitor and control the flow of data/information among them. It analyzes the incoming and outgoing data packets to check the adherence with the preconfigured communication rules. Every bit of data/information that goes out or comes in to the network are closely monitored to identify the potential threats to the security and integrity of the applications, telecommunication and computer systems. It alerts immediately about the compromised system, in case the security is breached or about to get breached.
Firewall enables the following:
- Monitored and restricted access to the internet from the internal systems
- Monitors the transferred files to block the infected files before they enter the network
- Maintains the logs of incoming and outgoing data traffic
- Enforces cyber law and policies
There are two types of Firewall solutions one can opt for: Hardware Firewall and Software Firewall. Let’s focus more on Hardware Firewall and providing details about the same.
Hardware Firewall has a physical existence like any other hardware. It is a network box that contains the customized hardware and software. It has got plug openings and port where the internal network can be plugged and one end the other end is for the external traffic. Its internal software enables to configure the security rules. The firewall works on the basis of these rules. It keeps the internal computer system and application behind the shield and defends against any possible threat. It is a great solution for the organizations who want a one point security solution for all the systems. They don’t need to install separate firewalls on individual systems.
Hardware firewall provides the following benefits:
- Enables secured remote access to internet protocol ( IP) numbers, ports and applications
- Allows to pre-configure the range of IP addresses that would be allowed through firewall
- Blocks social media sites
- Logs the activities performed by specific IP addresses or ports.